Wednesday, September 30, 2009

6 Rules to Follow to Improve Your Emails to College Coaches


Hundreds of recruits write emails and notes to NCSA everyday.

The good news? Almost every email that we receive from prospective recruits is well-intentioned and expresses a sincere desire to continue their athletic career.

The bad news? Many of these emails are filled with errors, slang terms and incomplete sentences. Now, everyone understands that spelling and grammar errors are bound to happen to even the best writers (In fact, today I noticed an error in an article of one of my favorite writers who works for a small little publication known as Sports Illustrated). The reality is that mistakes happen.

However, if these same notes were sent to a college coach, they would jeopardize a recruit’s relationship with that coach. Remember, that email might be your first impression…how do you want to be remembered?

Let’s look at few notes that NCSA has received in the last two days alone from student-athletes:

-i’m a teenager i been played basketball since i was 10 now i’m 16.My dreams is to make it to the nba and i am an follow dreams into it become true,my parent dont have the opportunity to pay college for me.I been wroking hard all my life and i beleive on my self so what i need from you guys it’s a litle help just to make my dreams come true.I know i can be like Micheal Jordan trust me and you will see my name in news as the second best basket ball player in the nba.please just help me go to college.

-Sorry about the impatience with the prior emails, I’m just beyond greatful and excited to have this oppertunity to help further my basketball career. I have received the e-mail pertaining what I should have to be prepared for the conference call with your National Scout. I cannot thank you enough for this oppertunity.

-Just want to see if I can get a free ride. You know what I mean.

-So i can be the best that i can be if u get this letter my name is xxx i just want to colledge to play basket ball my grades are good im going to hold back on my junior year for basketball so i can improve my weight,jumpshot,rebouning but trying to improve everthing but i will play my senior year at XXX school so please get back with me the top 5 colledge i had and mine was Flordia,Duke,Northcarlonia,Usc,Kansas or get drafted from high school please write me back my adress is XXX plaese come see me my senior year im only 16 ywars old my height is 6feet even im still growing my weight is 229 i just trying to take my talent to another level please dont let me down i will be a senior and 1 year school coming back in i will be a junior but just give me 1 year to develop i promise you wont be sorry

Each of these notes have different issues, which we will not focus on since they should be obvious, but all of them share one common problem: They will NOT make the best impression if they were sent to a college coach.

Here are a six rules to follow when sending letters or emails to college coaches:

Rule One: Do not rush through emails to coaches. If you rush, you are asking for mistakes. Take your time and make sure your email is concise and you have asked any necessary questions.

Rule Two: Have a proper introduction (Dear Coach Jones, Hi Coach Jones) and closing in your emails. Create your own signature that includes your contact information. A good signature not only looks professional, but it also reiterates your contact information to a coach.

Rule Three: Do not use any slang words. You are not having a conversation with a friend or sending a text message; this is a college coach and you should use proper English.

Rule Four: It is always a good idea to refer back to your previous contact with the coach. Make sure you answer any questions they had for you and that you aren’t repeating any information from a past email.

Rule Five: ALWAYS proofread your email. There should be no grammar, spelling or punctuation errors in the email.

Rule Six: Send emails to coaches one at a time. “CCing” several coaches, or sending a mass email, is not looked upon favorably

Now, let’s take a look at an example of a proper letter / email to a college coach courtesy of “Athletes Wanted – The Complete Game Plan for Maximizing Athletic Scholarships”

Dear Coach Jones,

As a member of the Eclipse soccer club and a freshman varsity starter at Niles North High School, I am beginning my search for a college soccer program where I can make an immediate impact, as well as further develop my skills and strength.

My goal academically is to pursue a degree in medicine, and I am impressed by the pre-med program that Hiram College offers. I also like the small class sizes and professor-to-student ratio. I currently attend a large high school and am looking forward to a more personalized college education.

I know the process is early, but I’m hoping to be considered for your program. Would you be so kind as to send me information about Hiram and a questionnaire?

Enclosed is my profile. I am in the process of putting together a video, and I will send you a link to my video as soon as it is prepared.

As a heads up, I will be at the Disney Showcase and the Las Vegas Shootout, so hopefully you will be able to see me play. In the meantime, please let me know if you have any questions.

I look forward to continuing the recruitment process with Hiram College.

Sincerely,

Jane Student #3 Eclipse (blue and white jersey)


September 30th, 2009 - by Chris Krause

No comments:

Post a Comment